1. In line with the initiation of Task Forces under WGIC, the proposal to identify the TFs was raised during the Fourth Meeting of D-8 Working Group on Industrial Cooperation (WGIC) on 10-12 November 2008, Bali-Indonesia.
After having and intensive discussion and exchange of views, the meeting agreed to strengthen future cooperation through Task Forces:
1.Automotive (Coordinator: Iran, Egypt, and Indonesia)
2.Energy, Power Sector and Conservation (Coordinator: Turkey, Nigeria)
3.Food production through Mechanization (Coordinator: Malaysia)
4.Cooperation/Transfer of Technology (Coordinator: Turkey, Iran)
5.Petrochemicals and Fertilizer (Coordinator: Indonesia, Iran)
6.Cement (Coordinator: Iran)
7.Steel (Coordinator: Iran)
8.Textile (Coordinator: Egypt, Indonesia)
9.Standardization and Intellectual Property Rights (Coordinator: Turkey, Iran)
10.SMEs (Coordinator: Turkey, Indonesia, Iran, Nigeria)
11.Electronics and IT (Coordinator: Malaysia)
In the Second D-8 Task Force Meeting on Technology Cooperation was held in Dhaka, Bangladesh on 9 October 2012., the following decesions were made:
01. All countries nominate contact person for this particular Task Force and provide the names and contact details to D-8 Secretariat within one month.
02. The proposal of the representative from Iran, which was presented earlier in the meeting of the Task Force held in Istanbul, Turkey, for developing a Web portal for Technology Transfer & Exchange Network (TTEN) which will be technology database for D-8 Member countries, was adopted. It is recommended that the web portal is hyperlinked to D-8 website. It will be financed by Iran and will be made operational within next six months.
3. Creation of Platform for Exchange of R&D personnel among member states
4. Directory of Technology Packages in different disciplines
5. Arrange budget for R&D and Human Resource Development (HRD)
6. Organizing Annual Technology Festival in every country
7. The D-8 countries as a group would try to ensure that article 66.2 of trade related aspects TRIPS requiring to developed countries to transfer technology to developing countries is fully implemented by WTO
Outcomes of the Task Force on Technology Cooperation of the 4th Ministerial Meeting on Industrial Cooperation 26-27 January 2015, Tehran, Iran are as follows:
-Iran will initiate a Research Project to study the requirements for up-grading the technological cooperation and exchanges among the Member States.
-The meeting decided that the D-8 TTEN Secretariat will prepare the prerequisites to act as D-8 Technology Transfer Center (TTC) in order to facilitate technology transfer among the Member States. The D-8 TTEN Secretariat, in close liaison with the D-8 Secretariat, will develop the criteria for cooperation and report to the next meeting.
-To increase technology cooperation among the Member States, D-8 TTEN Secretariat will facilitate participation in the International Technology Exhibitions (such as INOTEX 2015-I.R. Iran). All the Member States are encouraged to cooperate with D-8 TTEN Secretariat in order to make the platform an effective interface.
Outcomes of the Task Force on Technology Cooperation of the 5th Ministerial Meeting on Industrial Cooperation 09-11 May 2016, Cairo, Egypt are as follows:
•The number of technology offers and requests being posted on the D-8 TTEN website needs to be increased in order to have more matchmaking opportunities;
•D-8 TTEN Secretariat suggested that a booth exchange can take place in all technology-oriented exhibitions and events organized by D-8 countries;
•Integration between the D-8 TTEN Web platform and the platform developed by Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology of Turkey (www.d8coop.com) is vital for ensuring better cooperation between D8 member states, and there should be direct communication between the Secretariats responsible for the management of the two platforms for this purpose;
•The delegations of the participating countries welcomed the suggestion of Turkey for establishing joint entrepreneurship programs to promote knowledge exchange between entrepreneurs, technology parks, incubators, etc.;
•A new project that aims at "Promoting Cooperation between Innovation Clusters and Alliances in D-8 Member States" through fostering the exchange of knowledge and best practices between those clusters based on the idea of the Cluster Development project would be explored.
Md. Anwarul Alam
Ministry of Industries
Ms. Shadya Qadry
GM for International Agreement Department Industrial Development Authority
Fax: +202 253 703 37
Denny Noviansyah, S. Si, MT.
Assistant Deputy Director Ministry of Industry
Ph: +62 21 5255509 ext 2158
Fax: +62 21 5256112
Ms. Sabariah Ghazali
Director, Trade Related Emerging Issues Division, MITI
Tel: 603 - 6200 0523
Industry and Technology Expert
Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology (MoSIT)
Phone: +90 312 201 5312
Fax: +90 312 201 5253
Meetings so far held:
-1st D-8 Task Force Meeting on Technology Cooperation ( 5 October 2011, Istanbul-Turkey)
-2nd D-8 Task Force Meeting on Technology Cooperation (9 October 2012, Dhaka-Bangladesh)
-High Council Meeting of D-8 TTEN (7 – 9 October 2013, Tehran, Iran)
-3rd D-8 Task Force Meeting on Technology Cooperation (26-28 January 2015, Tehran-Iran)
-4th D-8 Task Force Meeting on Technology Cooperation (09-10 May 2016, Cairo-Egypt)