1. In line with the initiation of Task Forces under WGIC, the proposal to identify the TFs was raised during the Fourth Meeting of D-8 Working Group on Industrial Cooperation (WGIC) on 10-12 November 2008, Bali-Indonesia.
After having and intensive discussion and exchange of views, the meeting agreed to strengthen future cooperation through Task Forces:
1.Automotive (Coordinator: Iran, Egypt, and Indonesia)
2.Energy, Power Sector and Conservation (Coordinator: Turkey, Nigeria)
3.Food production through Mechanization (Coordinator: Malaysia)
4.Cooperation/Transfer of Technology (Coordinator: Turkey, Iran)
5.Petrochemicals and Fertilizer (Coordinator: Indonesia, Iran)
6.Cement (Coordinator: Iran)
7.Steel (Coordinator: Iran)
8.Textile (Coordinator: Egypt, Indonesia)
9.Standardization and Intellectual Property Rights (Coordinator: Turkey, Iran)
10.SMEs (Coordinator: Turkey, Indonesia, Iran, Nigeria)
11.Electronics and IT (Coordinator: Malaysia)
During this meeting, the private sector of Indonesia, Turkey and Iran has signed a Minute of Meeting to facilitate cooperation through a long-term program on Automotive Industry. A joint working group will be established to develop the long-term cooperation.
2. The Fifth Meeting of D-8 Working Group on Industrial Cooperation (WGIC) was held in Tehran, Iran, on February 28 – March 02 2010, back-to-back meeting with the First D-8 Ministerial Meeting on Industry.
During WGIC meeting, all the delegations discussed and approved all the Terms of Reference (ToR) of 11 Task Forces as recommended on previous D-8 WGIC meeting. In addition, Plan of Action: Cooperation on Industry & Tehran Declaration on D-8 Industrial Cooperation was adopted by WGIC meeting. Meanwhile, at ministerial meeting, The Ministers adopted Tehran Declaration.
3. As the one of coordinator Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs) under 11 Task Forces of D-8 WGIC, Iran Small Industries & Industrial Parks Organization (ISIPO) hosted the First D-8 SMEs Governmental Bodies Meeting of D-8 Member Countries on 06-07 December 2010 in Tehran-Iran with the idea to examine how to implement the agreements and deepen the ties between D-8 Member Countries. In addition, the meeting has also considered that it is also timely opportune for D-8 governmental bodies to meet and discuss common efforts in responding towards the current potential market of D-8 SMEs.
4. As a follow up activity of the First D-8 SMEs Governmental Bodies Meeting of D-8 Member Countries on 06-07 December 2010 in Tehran-Iran, Iranian government held the SME Cluster Development Best Practice Workshop on 8-9 February 2011 in Tehran-Iran, which intended to familiarize the related persons from Member Countries with the concept and experiences of SME Cluster Development in Iran. The workshop commenced successfully with full participation from D-8 Member Countries and ECO.
5. The Sixth Meeting of D-8 Working Group on Industrial Cooperation (WGIC) and Second D-8 Ministerial Meeting on Industry was held on 4-6 October 2011 in Istanbul-Turkey. Excluding Task Force on Textile and Garment, all Task Forces were discussed. Turkish delegation also proposed to add one more Task Force, namely Task Force on Machinery.
At Ministerial level meeting, the Ministers adopted Istanbul Declaration. In addition, at agenda item: exchange of views on Industry Meeting, Minister of Industry of Indonesia and Minister of Industry of Iran emphasized on the discrepancy in the level of performance of various Task Forces of the WGIC and called of an objective review and analysis, with regards to optimization of the number of TFs.
6. The First D-8 Task Force Meeting on Textile and Garment successfully held on 27-28 October 2011 in Jakarta-Indonesia. The meeting decided that the Member Countries would submit their respective set of concrete proposals for cooperation to D-8 Secretariat within 45 days. In addition, Indonesian delegation proposed a matrix for the articulation of a plan of action for the future of the Task Force, which can also serve as a mechanism for further articulation of the activities of the Task Force.
2nd D-8 Task Force Meeting on Automotive Industrial Cooperation which was held on 09 0ctober 2012 in Dhaka-Bangladesh the following Decisions are taken based on detail discussion by the deligates. The Decisions taken on the automotive task force are mentioned below:
•There should be one Focal Point by designation from each of the D-8 countries; they will maintain communication with each other. Bangladesh will be responsible for communicating with all Country Focal Points within a month.
•The quarterly progress of the decisions have been taken on 7th Meeting of the working group should be followed by the Focal Point.
•Automotive Working Group proposes D-8 Secretariat should be established to follow up the issues and effective implementation of the decisions.
1.To establish “D-8 Automotive Association – responsible country, “Turkey”
2.More attention should be paid to B2B cooperation – responsible country, “Turkey”
3.Streamlining technical and administrative regulation to avoid non-tariff barriers - responsible country, “Turkey”
4.To promote R&D and technology development and cooperation - responsible country, “Turkey”
•Focal point network ( group email) should be established to develop a communication mechanism by Turkey within two months. All the issues should carry forward.
1.Exploiting business opportunities through market survey in emerging auto markets including D-8 Countries - responsible country, “Iran”
•Designed template of market survey is developed and delivered to the delegates and it will be uploaded on the website after collecting remarks and suggestions and information from the D-8 country members within next two months.
2.D-8 automotive website should be established – responsible country, IRAN
•Website is designed; it will be launched after one month after getting feedback from the D-8 member countries.
3.Design and manufacture a common platform for regional and national brands as project of “D-8 joint product development.” - responsible country, “Iran”
•After conducting the market survey and forming B2B cooperation, the issue will be addressed.
1.Development of integrated supply chain – responsible country, “Indonesia.”
•No information about the progress. The Focal Point of Bangladesh will communicate with the Focal Point of Indonesia and will inform others.
2.The regional D-8 automotive Industries Associations should participate in UN/ECE activities – responsible country – Egypt
•Egypt will prepare a format for collecting relevant information from member countries; every country will send their existing information regarding environmental, safety and other standards relating to automotive sector.
3.Compilation of Tariff Regime of D-8 countries – responsible country by Pakistan
Every member country will send relevant information to the Focal Point of Bangladesh; after compilation of collected data for harmonization from all D-8 countries, it will send to the Focal Point of Turkey to upload this information on the official website within three months.
Coordinator: Iran, Egypt, Indonesia
Mr. Tapan Kumar Nath
Ministry of Industries
91, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka
Mr. Raouf Hasan Farg
Head of Central Department of Investment Policies and International Agreement
Ministry of Trade & Industry
Phone: +2022 794 4984
Mobile: +20 145 14488
Fax: +2022 7953466
Director of Land and Air Transportation Vehicles Industries
Jln. Jend. Gatot Subroto Kav.
52-53, 10th floor Jakarta Selatan 12950
Phone: +62 21 525 1901
+62 21 525 5509
Ext: 2322, 4038
Fax: +6221 5251901
Mr. Seyed Reza Mofidi
Mrs. Noor Wahida Nordin
Sectoral Policy Division, Ministry of International Trade and Industry
8th Floor, Block 10, Government Offices Complex,
Jalan Duta 50622 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Phone: +603 6203 5648
Fax: +603 6201 8124
Mr. Muhammad Ajmal Sharif
Deputy General Mnager
Ministry of Industries & Production (Engineering Development Board)
Birol Kocabas - Engineer
Tel. +90 312 201 55 81
Fax. +90 312 201 55 64
T: +90 216 319 29 94
F: +90 216 321 94 97
-1st D-8 Task Force Meeting on Automotive Industrial Cooperation (4 October 2011 Istanbul-Turkey)- Held
-2nd D-8 Task Force Meeting on Automotive Industrial Cooperation (09 0ctober 2012,Dhaka-Bangladesh)- Held