Subsequent to the KL Initiative, in the Fertilizer sub-sector, several meetings have been held by D-8 Organization as follows:
1)1st Ministerial Meeting on Marine and Fisheries & Fertilizers and 1st Senior Officials Meeting of the D-8 Working Group on Marine and Fisheries & Fertilizers (6-8 April 2010, Cairo – Egypt)
On D-8 Working Group on Fertilizers, the following topics were adopted:
1.Egypt as prime mover should continue to be permanent standing committee on fertilizer
2.Strengthening cooperation in the field of fertilizer:
Environmental impact from the production and use of fertilizers
Availability of raw materials
Investment opportunities and cooperation
Harmonizing of fertilizers standards between D-8 countries
Implementation of preferential trade agreement (PTA) for fertilizers
Establishment of joint research & technological collaboration in production and supply of fertilizers and to meet every 6 month to discuss special topics workshops
3.Develop joint investment programs in the field of fertilizer production by encouraging and supporting investors and private sector.
4.Cooperation with international organizations such as FAO and others.
During this working group meeting in Cairo, private sector of Iran – Egypt signed a letter of intent to exchange fertilizers materials and promote cooperation in this field.
2)2nd Working Group on Fertilizer (16 May 2011 in Tehran, Iran)
Iran has confirmed to host a " D8 Private Sector Meeting on Fertilizer " in Tehran. The D-8 Secretariat shall wait for official confirmation from the Ministry of Agriculture of Iran.
In addition to that, Malaysia has also proposed to establish inter-D8 Group Bilateral or Multilateral Trade Cooperation on Fertilizer through offering of competitive prices and qualities. Based on environmental problems of the world, the Delegates also proposed cooperation and exchange of experiences on production of Bio-Organic fertilizers. Considering similar climates in some Member States, i.e. desert and arid lands as well as the need for mutual technical cooperation on introduction and application of fertilizers, the Nigerian Delegates underlined the importance of closer collaboration among D8 countries.
3) Ad hoc meeting on fertilizer, which was held in Kish Island of Iran, during 9-11 March 2013.
The meeting witnessed the active exchange of views on the current status of production, distribution, and trade of fertilizers in D-8 Countries, and thoroughly discuss the feasibility of established the referred trade consortium. The meeting resoluted on proposing an MoU on the establishment of a D-8 trade consortium on fertilizer. The MoU will serve as an initial draft to be presented and sought final approval from all D-8 member countries at the 2nd D-8 Ad Hoc Group Meeting on Fertilizer, which will be held in Istanbul, Turkey, in mid of 2013.
4) 4th Meeting of The Working Group on Fertilizer, 4th December, 2013, Abuja - Nigeria
i. After deliberations in the Meeting, the delegates agreed on the following:
That Member States, who were yet to appoint a focal point Officer, should do so to facilitate the take-off of D8 Fertilizer Association in their respective countries.
ii. Consideration of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and Articles of Incorporation of D8 Fertilizer Association (D8FA).
The Memorandum of Understanding and the Articles of Incorporation were presented, reviewed and adopted by the Working Group. The Meeting after extensive discussions, consultations and due considerations such as the availability of facilities and administrative support for take-off, adopted Istanbul, Turkey- the D8 Secretariat as the Interim D8FA headquarters for two (2) year period. The Board shall, after evaluation of the progress made by the D8FA in various member countries at the end of the 2year period, decide on the permanent Headquarters for the Association.
The MoU shall be signed by the Ministers of Agriculture of the D8 Member States while the Article of Incorporation shall be endorsed by the Board of Directors of D8FA in their first meeting.
New Projects & Area of Cooperation
Malaysia made a presentation on the benefit of locating the D8FA headquarters in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The Meeting recalled that a decision on the headquarters had already been taken, and therefore advised Malaysia to represent in the next two years when the Board shall be taking a fresh decision on the issue.
Nigeria also presented a paper on areas of investment such as
i. Exploration and mining of phosphate rock
ii. Value addition to produce phosphatic fertilizers (SSP, TSP,DAP and MAP)
iii. Urea production, and
iv. NPK compound fertilizers.
The identified area of collaboration is capacity building on fertilizer quality assurance, which is to cover the following:
i. Inspection, analysis and trials of new fertilizer formulations
ii. Enforcement of regulations
iii. Certification, registration and sanctions
iv. Laboratory determination/confirmation of nutrient deficiencies in fertilizers.
- -2nd Working Group Meeting on Fertilizer (16 May 2011, Tehran–Iran) - HELD
- -2nd Senior Officials Meeting of the 2nd D-8 Agricultural Ministerial Meeting on Food Security (17 May 2011, Tehran-Iran) - HELD
- -2nd D-8 Agricultural Ministerial Meeting of Food Security (18 May 2011, Tehran-Iran)- HELD
- -D-8 Private Sector Investment Workshop on Gene Bank Development and Management and Investment in Fertilizer Production(15-17 May 2012, Abuja – Nigeria) - HELD
- -3rd D-8 Agricultural Ministerial Meeting on Food Security (4 October 2012,West Nusa Tenggara-Indonesia)- HELD
- -Senior Official Meeting for the 3rd D-8 Agricultural Ministerial Meeting on Food Security (4 October 2012, West Nusa Tenggara-Indonesia)- HELD
- -3rd D-8 Working Group on Fertilizer (3 October 2012, West Nusa Tenggara-Indonesia) - HELD
- -2nd D-8 Task Force Meeting on Food Industries (8 October 2012, Dhaka-Bangladesh) - HELD
- -2nd D-8 Task Force Meeting on Petrochemical and Fertilizer (8 October 2012, Dhaka-Bangladesh) - HELD
- -D-8 Water Forum (21-23 February 2013, Istanbul, Turkey) - Held
- -The 1st Meeting on D-8 Ad Hoc Group on Fertilizer was held from (9-11 March 2013, in Kish Island, Iran) - HELD
- -2nd Ad Hoc Meeting on Possible Formation of Consortium on Fertilizer (4-6 November 2013,Antalya-Turkey) - Held
- -4th Agriculture Ministerial Meeting on Food Security (4-6 December 2013 Nigeria) - Held
-5th Agricultural Ministerial Meeting on Food Security (15-17 October 2014, Istanbul-Turkey) - Confirmed